Re: [Gnumed-devel] versioning scheme

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] versioning scheme
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:03:19 +0200

On Mittwoch 24 September 2008, Gour wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have suggestion in regard to versioning schemes of GNUmed application
> as well as for the database format...

The versioning has the following format. If any changes to the table structure
are made a new version will be released like v10 v11 and so forth

The client goes from 0.3 to 0.4 for major changes and 0.3 to 0.3.2 for minor
changes (no new features, only bugfixes)

In my opinion in makes no sense to have server versions connected to client
versions.

I a year or so we will still be at v11 or so and the client will be 0.8 So in
a few years the database probably changes very little to not at all and it
makes no sense to increase the number when a new release is out.

Please tell me where exactly the problem for the user and the admin is.

If you start gnumed you are told explicetly what version you have and what
version is expected. So if you are told that you have version 8 and need
version 9 what problem is there to get version 9.

We could add a FAQ entry in the Wiki explaining what client version expects
what server version.

One could always write a GUI or cmd line program that will give the user an
option to upgrade , rebootstrap database versions.

I am always in for arguments that make me reconsider my point.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany