[Gnumed-devel] GNUmed server installation

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed server installation
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 08:52:32 +0100

Hi all,

Just to give you a quick glimpse on what you could do with gnumed without
writing any code yourself.

1.) set access rights for postgresql to 'trust' ( officially discouraged)
2.) download and restore a GNUmed data and user backup

alternatively 3.) set bootstrap to 'none-interactive' so it will not ask you
anything.

There are pitfalls.

1.) Anyone can mess with your patient data.
2.) you will have demo data and demo users in the database - there is no way
GUI in GNUmed to delete those
3.) upgrade to newer version can still only be done via the upgrade scripts -
restoring a newer backup will overwrite your data.

Please be advised that we are talking about a fullblown database server here
(Postgresql) There is no single application (even with MSSQL) that can be
used without configuring the sql server.

If you really want to get rid of any configuration I recommend you look at
relocation of postgresql. this means that every application ships its own (
preconfigured ) instance of postgresql. This instance is then placed in the
application directory and should only be accessed by one single application.
This instance will then run on a different port and each instance needs its
own port.

So if you want GNUmed server v8 and v9 running at the same time you need to
have it configured on different ports. If you do not you cannot run both
server versions at the same time.

The method above might be a way out for peolple who cannot or do not want to
administer postgresql themselves. The GNUmed project so far has chose not to
officially provide packages that make use of this technique.

If anyone wants to provide packages that make use of the above we are still
happy to answer any questions. This might even be a business model.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany