[Gnumed-devel] GNUmed packaging help needed

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed packaging help needed
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 12:54:54 +0100

Hi all,

GNUmed has started to become usable and is in production mode at a few
settings.

It is currently know to Work on

Debian, openSUSE, Ubuntu, Gentoo, (Sidux,Fedora,Mandriva,PcLinuxOS), Windows
XP (standalone, modular, USB-mode), MacOSX.

All those operating systems and Linux distributions established their own
preferred way of how to deliver software to their users.

Every time a new release comes out we build packages for at least 7-10
different settings.

That is a lot of work and currently handled by only two people.

This is a call for help. We need more people helping out with the packaging
stuff. How much work is that for an individual ?

Depending on your experince it takes roughly 60 minutes per setting. Details
below.

1.) Debian. Unless their are major structural changes packaging involves
changing a few lines in a configuration file and uploading it to the Debian
infrastrucuture. If new stuff needs to be implemented such as smarter user
interaction more packaging skills are required. Their is plenty of
information on the interweb on how to become a maintainer. This is currently
handled by Andreas. Thanks a lot.
1.1) Debian backports. Discussion on the mailing list indicates that if might
be helpful to get GNUmed into Debian backports. Andreas lacks the ressources
to do this so we are in need of someone who will take this over. Work
involved is limited as the packaging stuff is done by Anreas and it is mostly
about testing and interacting with the backports team.

2.) openSUSE. I currently use their buildservice. This means when a new
release comes out one needs to use their web interface or commandline tools,
upload the tarball for the server and client , make changes to the spec file
and trigger a rebuild. Point releases are handled withing 30 Minutes. Major
version changes such as 3.x to 4.x require more time for testing and
adapating the spec file. Testing involves testing GNUmed on openSUSE 10.3,
11.0, 11.1 currently. Vmware or other virtualization products help a lot.

3.) Fedora.Mandriva. I am not aware of any GNUmed users running those
distributions. Both are rpm-based and are handled by the openSUSE build
service. If you have carefully crafted spec file for openSUSE you can build
for Fedora and Mandriva as well. If the need arises specific modifications
might become neccessary.

4. Ubuntu. This mainly invloved building on the work of the Debian people.
This is currently handled by having Ubuntu 8.04 in a virtual machine.
Launchpad is the buildservice for Ubuntu. Re-Packaging basics are shown in a
set of youtube videos and got me started in roughy a day. Time involved per
release is 30-60 minutes. Launchpad will build packages for different Ubuntu
versions. Contact me to get you started.

5.) Windows XP. FOSS is not Linux only. We have quite a few people trying
Windows versions. Up to now it was challenging to get GNUmed running. This is
mainly due to the facht that Windows cares s**t about how users install
software. Their is no central repository where you could apt-get foo from.
The user needs to install python,wxpython, postgresql ... That is where most
failed. We now have crafted packages which will do the above installation for
you. Windows packagers are asked to produce three versions of both client and
server. First is the GNUmed-only version. Second is the GNUmed-including
dependencies-version. Thirs is the Run-every-thing-from-USB-drive version. If
you want to take this over I can provide a complete toolchain including build
environment you can copy to your system and get running within 60 minutes.
The three releases mostly depend on each other. So if you build the
GUmed-standalone version it is a matter of calling a few batch scripts to
produce the other ones. A licensed Windows system is recommended (e.g. in a
virtual machine)  but short of testing the build stuff can be achieved in a
Linux only environment.

6.) MacOS X. has not been given a lot of ressources latetly as we have no
hardware. There are oudated packages which can serve as a base. It was fairly
straightforward as MacOS seems to throw everything in a bundle. To enhance
the user experience you might want to take a look at the packaging for the
KDE4Mac project and their use of macports.

7.) Live-CD. You need a Debian-Box and internet connection. I can provide a
working configuration.  One simply runs lh_build and uploads the resulting
iso for a new release.

Given you have read the above you might decide to step in and take over one
build or so. Let Andreas or myself know if you need help to get started. I
would really appreciate it as I am currently looking for ways to get into
conding again.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany