Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Tarballs and dependencies (was Re: gnumed-server

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Tarballs and dependencies (was Re: gnumed-server packages)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 20:11:31 -0700

On 16-Jun-09, at 1:55 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

I would stay away from installing tarballs!  Really!

Aah, never mind !  The way we "install" tarballs is entirely

user-local. They are put below /home/user/.gnumed/client-installations/

and no file whatsoever leaks out into the system proper. A link to

start each version is put on the desktop. No other user can even

use it. They each need to install it themselves.

The above is true only for the GNUmed client, correct?

There is no question (option) for the server software to be installed and to run only in local user space, is there, meaning the choice is either machine system-wide installation (requiring root or sudo access) after installing (if necessary) and configuring Postgres and running the bootstrapper, or else to run off a Live CD, correct?