[Gnumed-devel] Notes plugin - signaling and linkage among screen splits

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Notes plugin - signaling and linkage among screen splits (plus a "todo" kluge)
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 19:49:22 -0700

Just wondering what extent and capacity for signaling exists between the left and right halves, and the upper and lower portions, of the Notes plugin split screen.

I notice that when an active problem is single-clicked, no refresh occurs in the "Most Recent Related Notes". So, to raise the information, needs a double-click, which obliges raising an extra notelet editor, if one was not already raised for this problem.

I can see a use-case for the clinician to want to browse down the list of active problems' most recent notes. It can easily happen that even while a patient came for one purpose, and did not complain about the other problems, there is a need (forgotten by the clinician) to inform the patient about new information, or to update the assessment of the other problems. In the interval since the last thorough patient contact, there may have been a plan (not evident in the Purpose) to reassess a condition, and/or there may have arrived test results (or consultant reports) that need to be dealt with.

In order to brain-parse the record for such things, current options (and limitations) are to

1) stay within the Notes plugin, double-click each problem, view its most recent note, then Discard each raised notelet editor if it is not needed. This is busy-work, and may cost additional time at any lag in raising and discarding the notelet editors.

2) jump from the Notes plugin to the EMR tree, set it open to the episode level, and down-arrow through the episodes. While this would achieve the quick display of (and movement through) the most recent note-per-episode, drawbacks are:
- having to leave, and return to, the Notes plugin
- EMR tree may display many closed episodes, in addition to the current (open) one - EMR tree includes relevant but inactive problems which may less deserve to be passed through

Is it too resource-intensive for a simple selection (single click) on any Active Problem to raise into the lower left this problem's most recent note text? If it is so (too intensive) then users also need to realize that a single-click will produce an apparent mismatch between what is selected at upper left, and what is displayed at lower left.

The left and right splits are not chained together. As a consequence, movement among notelet editors has no effect on what is shown at left. Perhaps this is OK, as long as the left side is internally (upper and lower) consistent, as the clinician may like to keep in view the most recent notes related to a *different* problem than the one on which they are working on in the right hand split.

Can we alter the left side "Most Recent Related Notes" descriptor to
        "Most recent notes on above problem" or
        "Active problem's most recent notes"

Can we also rectify some "case" mismatch that crept among the 4 split areas? For consistency, I might suggest

        Active Problems --> Active problems
        Tips and Hints --> Tips and hints

Clinicians may spend the most time in this plugin and whatever we make clear here may reward us by sparing some extent of new users' questions and confusion that I have seen in other EMRs... it is the basis for my apology to risk seeming fussy.

Do we anticipate that future Tips and hints will be chained to, and refreshed with any change in selection of, whichever notelet is in the foreground above?

Footnote ideas:

1) presently, it would be possible for users to adapt the Waitlist, by creating a zone "todo" and – at patient contact – to filter the Waitlist to the current patient. This is probably a good practice anyway, even after we had a future way to "mark" tasks arising, since the patient may be in the waitlist for other things that the staff did not manage to achieve, and which may better be sorted out while the patient is here.

2) even more a kluge would be to create a per-patient Unattributed problem "todo" and into this pseudo-problem put what needs to be done... it could all be handled in a single episode that is always active and since it would appear at the top (even in the Notes editor) it is the only one that would have to be double-clicked to help the clinician relocate any tasks they had set for a future visit.