Re: Client menu suggestions was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Release 0.5.rc2

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: Client menu suggestions was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Release 0.5.rc2
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 13:16:46 +0200

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 10:22:37PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> I think that the GNUmed menu "Plugins…" (now "Go to plugins...") offers
> an easy way to jump to plugins, especially if keyboard shortcuts would be
> enabled for each.

Done (active letters, that is, so

        "Alt-G, P, letter-of-plugin"

will invoke the plugin of choice :-)

> I now understand that plugins -- loaded from the active Workplace -- can
> and do show up in multiple menus:
> - each in GNUmed > Plugins… (in the order of their appearance in the

notebook tab panel == load order

> - each also gets added to the bottom of one of the other menus or
> submenus

can

> (also in the order of their appearance in the toolbar)

in the notebook tab panel == load order

> and optionally carrying an alternate name

now carrying the same name as the other menu item - if any,
otherwise the name as before

> I note under the Tools menu the item "Show archived documents" but since
> this archive (which is the Documents plugin) seems specific to the
> person's EMR, it should be relocated under the EMR menu, yes?

Done.

> Likewise, under Person, we have an item "Attach documents" but since
> such documents are presumably health-related and not staff employment
> related, then this plugin also is better listed under the EMR, IMO.

Done.

> The above-two suggested relocations are offered below in a reworking of
> my earlier EMR menu suggestions, with clearer rationale:
>
> - Export seems a function all by itself, which I suggested be bottom-
> most among the fixed items (i.e. above any added plugins)

Done.

> - below this, dynamically-added items (i.e. some plugins) might (most
> tidily) come below a separator

yes

> - the names that I suggested for some EMR menus -- when the items
> represented plugins -- did not, and do not, depend that the menus
> (plugins) be there... no harm is done when they would not be there

I agree.

> - although I take "History taking" and "Observations" to be patterned
> after the traditional sequence of data gathering, they create or enforce
> sometimes artificial distinctions, as history and observations are both
> in reality also (alternatively) inputted via SOAP notes.

I thought as much but wanted to hear it independently.