Re: Client menu suggestions was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Release 0.5.rc2

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: Client menu suggestions was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Release 0.5.rc2
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 08:26:11 -0700

On 29-Jun-09, at 4:16 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 10:22:37PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

I think that the GNUmed menu "Plugins…" (now "Go to plugins...") offers

an easy way to jump to plugins, especially if keyboard shortcuts would be

enabled for each.

Done (active letters, that is, so

"Alt-G, P, letter-of-plugin"

will invoke the plugin of choice :-)

Actually the "P" (plugins) should not be necessary since I noticed that, when a top level menu is activated from the keyboard (Alt G for GNUmed), the top item within that menu, which had thus far been "Plugins", is automatically selected and if it own a submenu, that too is opened by default.

Therefore if "Go to plugins" is kept the top menu item within GNUmed, perhaps it need not have an active keystroke letter... surely the commonest actions in GNUmed would be to:

1. Move among the plugins
2. Change among patients, commonly via
- inbox item
- appointments list
- waitlist
- patient search box

On the question of keyboard shortcuts, might people think that to jump to the searchbox will be so common (no matter the plugin that happens to be active) to grant this a GNUmed "system-wide" keystroke? I agree these special keystrokes are valuable and need agreement, and to be only preciously used.