[Gnumed-devel] Re: Re: Issues with 0.5 detected when trying to package

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Re: Issues with 0.5 detected when trying to package
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:31:49 +0200

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 07:02:11PM +0200, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > Well, I'd call this a weak excuse.  The examples should work out of
> > the box with recent code, right?
>
> Not if they are intended to serve as documentation.

Sorry.  I expect an example to *work*.  Otherwise you should call it
exercise for newcomers: Why does this config file not work?
It would be a "documentation" if "v10" would be replaced by
"$CURRENTSERVERVERSION" or something like this.

> > So the downloaded JAR file is actually used from the code?
>
> No. The jar is a stroke/heart attack risk calculator and is
> called from within GNUmed like any other external program.
>
> > Than this
> > makes sense.  But I'd like to have some more information about this.  Is
> > there something in the GNUmed docs?
>
> There's menu help strings and some strings in the config item but
> that's it.

IMHO this should be somewhere in the docs as well.  Using third party
software with few notice is not good.

> > What is the license of this JAR.
>
> "free-to-use"

With or without sources?

> > Could we probably ship it as real Debian package?
>
> you'd have to get into contact with www.arriba-hausarzt.de but I doubt
> it for the time being

So no sources available?  We could ship "free-to-use" in non-free.
Anybody volunteering to ask there?  If the software is good enough
to be used out of GNUmed it might be good enough to be provided as
Debian package.

> This definitely belongs into /usr/local/bin.

Probably for the moment.

> No problem with that. Do whatever Debian requires of you.

Well ... but GNUmed needs to find the code there.  Do we need a new
release / patche if the downloaders go to a different location?

> > So what about also moving these to /usr/share/gnumed.
>
> Feel free to do whatever Debian requires you to do. I should think
> they belong into /usr/local/bin/ or else need a man page along with
> gm-install_arriba.

Well, the gm-* scripts should go to /usr/share/gnumed (perhaps
/usr/share/gnumed/bin if you prefer).  We just have to make sure that
they will be found by your other code.  Everything these scripts might
install should go somewhere else.  Options are /usr/local/bin to install
independent executable code.  But if you want to circumvent that users
have to know root password we could also use /var/lib/gnumed (or
/var/lib/gnumed/<something>) as a user writable area which might serve
as location for the downloaded jar file.  If you don't mind about the
fact that any user can put any jar file to this location.  On the other
hand I think the installer enables to define users in system group
"gnumed" and making the dir writable for this group sounds reasonable to
me.

> > They are
> > obviosely not useful in the PATH of a user
>
> A user may want to download ATC and/or LOINC data files.

So they need a man page how to do this and as I said: If a user wants
to download such data files he most probably does not want these in
/tmp.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--