Re: [Gnumed-devel] Packaging (Was: Naming convention)

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Packaging (Was: Naming convention)
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 16:50:50 +0200

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 04:34:19PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> >The ~/.gnumed/ is IMO created
> >by the first run of gnumed.py as well as the gnumed.conf therein.
>
> Thanks, it is hard to reverse engineer such things when one already
> did multiple steps (install and run) while not yet knowing so well
> the insides of the code... :-)
>
> The above is good news, because if it is the gnumed.py which takes
> care of the instantiation of the user's files it means less for the
> OS (distro) - specific package to have to do,

In fact, it is a necessity because the OS cannot be expected
to magically pre-create user specific files and directories
for users that don't exist yet.

Also, there is no sane reason why there should be a .gnumed
for users which never ever actually use GNUmed.

> Is the same true of ~/gnumed which contains
>
>       export
>       logs
>       xdt

Yes. Here is the snippet in gnumed.py:

 def setup_paths_and_files():
        """Create needed paths in user home directory."""

        gmTools.mkdir(os.path.expanduser(os.path.join('~', '.gnumed',
'scripts')))
        gmTools.mkdir(os.path.expanduser(os.path.join('~', '.gnumed',
'spellcheck')))
        gmTools.mkdir(os.path.expanduser(os.path.join('~', '.gnumed', 'tmp')))
        gmTools.mkdir(os.path.expanduser(os.path.join('~', 'gnumed', 'export',
'docs')))
        gmTools.mkdir(os.path.expanduser(os.path.join('~', 'gnumed', 'export',
'xDT')))
        gmTools.mkdir(os.path.expanduser(os.path.join('~', 'gnumed', 'export',
'EMR')))
        gmTools.mkdir(os.path.expanduser(os.path.join('~', 'gnumed', 'xDT')))
        gmTools.mkdir(os.path.expanduser(os.path.join('~', 'gnumed', 'logs')))

        open(os.path.expanduser(os.path.join('~', '.gnumed', 'gnumed.conf')),
'a+').close()

which is part of the startup sequence.

> Also, Debian apparently copies from tarball the shell script
>
>       client/gnumed --> /usr/bin/gnumed

That is the executable to be used to launch GNUmed under
normal circumstances when installed systemwide.

> and several directories of client code and resources, which appear
> under Debian to get copied into
>
>       /usr/share/gnumed
>
> and these get referenced by virtue of decommenting
> # export PYTHONPATH
> and adding an "export PATH" line as follows in /usr/bin/gnumed
>
> # packages which install the GNUmed python modules into a path not
> # already accessible for imports via sys.path (say, /usr/share/gnumed/)
> # may need to adjust PYTHONPATH appropriately here
> export PYTHONPATH="${PYTHONPATH}:/usr/share/gnumed/"
> export PATH="${PATH}:/usr/share/gnumed/bin"
>
> ... but there is no "bin" in my /usr/share/gnumed/bin in which case
> is the above needed for some other purpose?

The debian installer installs a few private executables
(shell scripts) in that directory.