Re: [Gnumed-devel] How much does GNumed cost ?

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] How much does GNumed cost ?
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 15:12:06 +0100

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 09:55:47PM +0100, Hilbert, Sebastian wrote:

> There is another problem: domains.
>
> Sure we could relocate to other hosting packages but there is risk that
> during
> the transition the domain will be grabbed by domain grabbers.

I don't really see that happen either but who knows.

> Wiki: does not need root access but is helpful

Particularly for rooting out spam and for backup purposes.

> Live-CD: I have no stats. The download traffic suggests that every now and
> then someone is pulling the image. Live CDs are generally underestimated but
> believe that is their fate. Can be done on a local debian machine and
> uploaded
> to any webspace.

Live-CDs are great. It's very handy to hand them out.

Basically we need three things:

1) public database

        this needs us to have sufficient access rights to do a
        bootstrap

2) download space / domain hosting

        this needs us to have access rights for uploading

3) wiki hosting

        this wants shell access for backup

> I wonder what is needed on the hosting site. I guess one has root access to a
> server there is little chance to configure pg_hba.conf and the likes.

Typically one gets a virtual private server: one isn't
really root on the bare metal but is given a sort of virtual
machine inside which one is root.