Re: [Gnumed-devel] Success again using MacPorts

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Success again using MacPorts
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 19:43:45 +0200

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 08:50:39AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> > Go to http://www.gitorious.org/gnumed/gnumed/commits/rel-0-7-patches
> > and grab the tar.gz. Unzip it e.g. to /tmp and run gm-from-vcs.sh
>
> Done. Below capturing what an unsophisticated user (like me, not thinking
> carefully) might encounter after installing MacPorts... note the testing
> below is without an internet connection:

> SCENARIO
> 1) problem of failure to complete a few installation requirements?
> e.g. failure to redirect calls to python to the MacPorts python 2.6 per
>       sudo ln -s
> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python2.6
> python
> QUESTION:
> - note for the YIELD below, I did not yet already do either of the above, nor
> did I already do the step in the next 2 lines... do you think the link above
> and the python_select below would achieve the same thing: ?
>       sudo port install python_select
>       sudo python_select python26
>
> YIELD:
>
> MacBook:~ djb$ cd /Users/djb/Downloads/gnumed-gnumed/gnumed/gnumed/client
> MacBook:client djb$ sh ./gm-from-vcs.sh
> ./gm-from-vcs.sh: line 38: git: command not found
> Running from Git branch:
> GNUmed startup: Running from local source tree.
> Creating module import symlink ...
>  real dir: /Users/djb/Downloads/gnumed-gnumed/gnumed/gnumed/client
>      link: /Users/djb/Downloads/gnumed-gnumed/gnumed/gnumed/Gnumed
> Adjusting PYTHONPATH ...
> /Users/djb/Downloads/gnumed-gnumed/gnumed/gnumed/Gnumed/pycommon/gmTools.py:11:
>  DeprecationWarning: the MimeWriter module is deprecated; use the email
> package instead
>   import urllib2 as wget, decimal, StringIO, MimeWriter, mimetypes, mimetools
> DISPATCHER WARNING: connect(): unknown signal [test_result_mod_db]
> DISPATCHER WARNING: connect(): unknown signal [substance_intake_mod_db]
> Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-uvUcuj/org.x:0".
>
> COMMENT / QUESTIONS:
> - does the user lose any advantage (line 38) from not having installed git?

No.

> - to what do the DISPATCHER warnings relate (as it proved unrelated to the
> lack of an internet connection)?

Those warnings mean that some code started to listen to a
signal the signal dispatcher code did not know about at that
moment.

> - seemed to hang on the last line Xlib...

There is something fundamentally broken with this
environment way before even worrying about anything GNUmed.

> would it be
> explained by lack of having made the symlink from python to
> MacPorts' python26 or do you suspect I only just didn't wait
> long enough for X11 to have been called the first time?

It is surely thinkable that there is some incompatibility
between system python, MacPort python, system-libc,
MacPort-libc, system-c-compiler, MacPort-c-compiler and
flowing from that wxWidgets/wxPython/X-server/...

> SCENARIO
> 2) after retrying, after the symlink above was done (the retry hardly took
> any time)

Because the *.py files were already precompiled by then.

> MacBook:client djb$ sudo ln -s
> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python2.6
> python
> Password:
> MacBook:client djb$ sh ./gm-from-vcs.sh
> ./gm-from-vcs.sh: line 38: git: command not found
> Running from Git branch:
> GNUmed startup: Running from local source tree.
> Adjusting PYTHONPATH ...
> /Users/djb/Downloads/gnumed-gnumed/gnumed/gnumed/Gnumed/pycommon/gmTools.py:11:
>  DeprecationWarning: the MimeWriter module is deprecated; use the email
> package instead
>   import urllib2 as wget, decimal, StringIO, MimeWriter, mimetypes, mimetools
> DISPATCHER WARNING: connect(): unknown signal [test_result_mod_db]
> DISPATCHER WARNING: connect(): unknown signal [substance_intake_mod_db]
> Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-uvUcuj/org.x:0".
>
> COMMENT / QUESTIONS
> - the above succeeded to raise the GNUmed client login dialog

Seems to support the theory that one needs to use compatibly
sourced versions of whatever relevant library.

Now, did you succeed in getting any further than the login dialog ?