Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Kirk's penicillin allergy

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Kirk's penicillin allergy
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 10:39:36 +0200

Am Donnerstag 15 Juli 2010, 08:43:02 schrieb Karsten Hilbert:

> > >No. At least not any that I am aware of.
> >
> > We have listed a great number of pharmacopeas in the FreeMedForms wiki :
> >     http://code.google.com/p/freemedforms/wiki/LinksPage#Drug_data_sources
>
> Again, I am not aware of a German data source suitable for
> inclusion with FreeDiams.

A little more info on the German state of affairs.

There are at least four commercial drug databases.
AMIS
IFAP
Gelbe-Liste
Scholz-Datenbank

Neither their data is available under an open license nor their database
schema or any API to access the data.

Under a NDA and substantial amount of money you might be able to obtain access
to the data (you license that per user) and an API (programming interface)

Company behind IFAP refuses to talk to at all if you are not a well
established (paying) company. They control 50-90% of the market.

AMIS you license up front in batches of 1000 users ( I believe) and you can
distribute it to 1000 users if you like. I vaguely remember you get access to
the data.

Gelbe-Liste is a corner case. Under some sort of NDA they will send you the
data but not the structure. They provide an API which can be implemented free
of charge. However each doctor needs to obtain the data from MMI (company).
this however is free of charge. They provide a client which lets you search
and prescribe drugs and can export individual drug records in a documented
format.

Scholz-Datenbank. I don't know their terms.

Long story short. There is no such thing as the FDA data for Germany. The only
way legal way to get free data is to export a dataset through Gelbe-Liste's
GUI client. They use a firebid database which you could potentially get the
data strucutre from and extract the data but that is not permitted by their
license.

Currently there is not way to obtain free data for inclusion into FreeDiams
(legally). If you want to bend the rules you could get the data (legally)
engineer your own data access but you cannot ship that to any FreeDiams user.
Each user would have to do this him/herself.

You don't want to go down that road.

Sebastian