Re: [Gnumed-devel] Open Source Health Informatics, London, 30th Sep 2010

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Open Source Health Informatics, London, 30th Sep 2010
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 07:54:35 -0700

On 2010-08-11, at 12:35 PM, lkcl wrote:

>> What do you have in mind regarding
>> something to show. Let me know so I can make a statement if I can find the
>> time to contribute.
>>

> yeah.  is only 2.5 hours.  starts at 18:00hrs.  just something to say "yes,
> free software really does exist" really.  i would very much like to be able
> to have a clin.lab_request and/or clin.test_data dialog box up-and-running,
> so that after having imported the test results i can at least say "and yes,
> here they are".

Despite that I know you'd rather not be showing command lines, could you not
maybe show

- GNUmed pre-lab-import
- an HL7 file with lab results, displayed inside a text editor
- disclaimer that the fresh-out-of-the-oven importer code simply did not yet
get wrapped in a GUI button (doable after Karsten's return but not before the
conference IMO)
- show the new patient (if applicable) and result in GNUmed

??

> even if i get 5-10 minutes i'll be happy to have shown that.

Alternatively might you like to show any of pyjamas? The answer depends whether
sufficient people there may understand the limitations of standard browser web
apps. I think that even if they do not understand stateless vs stateful
connections, they may be aware that "browser-as-cure-all"

- as a technology, have been associated with both compatibility and serious
security problems
- javascript is thorny and has something to do with these problems
- if we are to use browsers, "Google Web Tools" offers some help

http://www.linuxjournal.com/magazine/web-20-development-google-web-toolkit
- an alternative-to-java free language python offers simplicity and elegance

and so...
- something that makes javascript more manageable, using a java alternative,
might be valuable
- something that escapes some web app weaknesses (in-database security) may be
worth knowing about

-- Jim