Re: [Gnumed-devel] Open Source Health Informatics, London, 30th Sep 2010

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Open Source Health Informatics, London, 30th Sep 2010
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 22:28:39 +0200

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 10:37:12PM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> >> is it the intention to have lab requests "initiated" by gnumed,
> >
> > *able* to be initiated, yes
> >
> > I think that in Germany the clinician or helper would input
> >
> >        clin.lab_request.request_id
> >
> > based on bar coded labels provided by the path lab... I do not know how
> > truly Germany achieves for these to be unique.
>
>  uhn?  err... ah.  rrright.  then what's clin.lab_request_id for??
>
>  hmmm, i think i might have this the wrong way round, perhaps.  or,
> somebody has.
>
>  it sounds to me like clin.request_id should be matching up with ORC
> 004, and clin.lab_request_id should be matching up with ORC 003.
>
>  problem with that is that clin.request_id has to be non-NULL.
>
>  perhaps it's the other way round (which seems counter-intuitive from
> the naming) but there you go.  perhaps the bar coded label value
> should be going into clin.lab_request_id such that it comes back in
> ORC 004?

While I have no idea about HL7 the intent of the fields is

clin.lab_request.request_id:    filled in by GNUmed/praxis staff and hopefully
returned by the lab

clin.lab_request.lab_request_id:        invented by the lab for internal (?)
use and transmitted to the praxis
                                    often useful when phoning in for
clarification