[Gnumed-devel] FreeDiams drugs interaction engine hacking

From: Eric MAEKER
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] FreeDiams drugs interaction engine hacking
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 20:56:20 +0100

I've renamed the discussion and add some colleagues. This discussion is really
important.

As a beginning please consider that I'm a french doctor with a poor english...

> If I just want to do drug interactions, is the minimum I need just the iam.db
> ?

Surely not !

Before all there are some point to put in view.

Firstly, the code and datas of FreeDiams are released in GPLv3 License implying
some rules to be respected. Does your work is compatible with this license ?

Secondly, the interaction engine is a complex association of an algorithm
(C++/SQL code), drugs database creators and analyzers (script + hand made by MD
before any release) and an interaction database (that must be reviewed).
Hacking the unique interaction database is not enough and should be avoid. This
is totally unsafe and can be a cause of confusing and error that can lead your
users to medical errors (excess of confidence in a buggy system). The
FreeMedForms team can not be responsible of any kind of such errors, but may be
you can be (in this case).

Thirdly, I believe that there are better advantage to work together on a smart
project than doing a hack/fork of the existing. You should consider to join the
FreeMedForms project, may be as web portal/bridge designer and main dev of it.

Fourthly, we should consider other projects.
- The FreeMed project team wants to gain on drugs interactions testing too.
This project is mainly PHP based. So may be a shared project can be define with
both teams.
- The MedinTux project wants to gain on drugs interactions too. There is
already a bridge between the two projects but it should be consolidated.
MedinTux team can join the discussion and effort.
- GNUmed dev team already work (a lot) on a bridge in common with the
FreeMedForms team.
The FreeMedForms team is opened to the discussion. May be we can find other
project that wants this king of bridge.

> --
> Graham Chiu

Eric Maeker, MD France
Main creator and administrator of the FreeMedForms project