Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed substance schema was Re: GNUmed and FreeDi

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed substance schema was Re: GNUmed and FreeDiams
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 01:22:34 +0100

> Were we agreed to update column name "description" to "brand_name"

We did not.

> and can
> we make the table name ref.brand-drugs (in place of current
> ref.branded-drugs) because congruency will cut down errors in coding?

We can but I fail to see a gain. Note that it is _ rather than - and
no trailing "s" (by convention).

> Is the purpose of is_fake to allow pseudo-brands

Yes.

> I did some experimenting on uniqueness in the Canadian brand names, and
> even if I convert
>
>       brand_name --> concat (brand_name, strength)
>
> the Canadian brands are still not unique… only 12489 of 12756 become
> distinct, because some "generic" companies do not care to make a unique brand
> name, thus two or more manufacturers can achieve the same {brand_name,
> strength}. I would really much prefer to *not* have to make fake Brand names
> as
> concat (brand_name, FreeDiams unique ID) …
>
> How about
>
>       UNIQUE (description, preparation, external_code, external_code_type)

There would then be no visual indication of difference in, say,
drug component phrasewheels.

Again, external_code is a black box. All GNUmed does is pass it on
and display it in some "detail views".

How about only expanding the original name if there actually are
identically named drugs ?  That would make for, what, 300 unhappy
names out of 12500 ?

> this way, in the absence of {external_code, external_code_type} the check
> falls equivalent to the original requirement
>
>       UNIQUE (description, preparation)

No it does not because in SQL

 (NULL == NULL) = NULL

rather than TRUE or FALSE

> but in the presence of {external_code, external_code_type} we can enable
> to exist a brand name / preparation distinguished by these other attributes.

I'll see if I can think of something useful.