Re: [Gnumed-devel] Free FotoFinder Replacement: MediSnap

From: Jan Kechel
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Free FotoFinder Replacement: MediSnap
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 07:29:59 +0100

Hi Jim,

> I am only just wondering about the decentralization (fragmentation?)
> of information.

surely this is an issue

> What I am less certain about is the case of images captured (photos)
> or generated (marked-up photos, sketches, mappings) by the doctor
> where the creation occurs in the praxis:

> 1) What should determine whether such images should live in the GNUmed
> database or in MediSnap?

I don't know. But actually it should be quite easy to tell via GDT
either one where to store pictures with what names .. its just not
implemented yet ;)

> 2) If they live in MediSnap, is this under the model of
> separate-but-co-ordinated "services" where the doctor's "record of the
> patient" is being divided across multiple separate databases?

there wouldn't be anything coordinated right now

> 3) Does this depend on "federation" of unbreakable patient identity
> across the databases? Will there exist persistent links that allow the
> data to be unified in later joins / views either for patient care or
> when evidence of the adequacy
> or quality of the care becomes later demanded?

MediSnap does not store any image in the database. I'm just using
file-based access to this. The appropriate network-drive can be
configured in the properties file.

.. anyway, all the meta-information like what picture of which
localisation was shot when is stored to the db.

The 'good' thing about gnumed is, that it's free software, so you can
create a perfect adaptor to work together with medisnap .. something
that's not possible with those proprietary 'things'. So in the end there
obviously should be all images in one place and actually exist only a
single db.
The 'bad' thing is, that the olympus camera drivers are only available
for windows .. which is one of the reasons why i didn't like medisnap
anymore some years ago.

Jan

PS: I just created a binary-release and uploded it as file to
sourceforge. This should make it a lot easyer to experiment with MediSnap:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/medisnap/files/20110121-first-public-release/

- --
publictimestamp.org/ptb/PTB-10960 sha160 2011-01-21 05:47:49
A1445E5753B4A7BA4C80599E6849C3C79A109210