Re: [Gnumed-devel] clinicians: coding use case survey - please respond !

From: Rogerio Luz Coelho
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] clinicians: coding use case survey - please respond !
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 15:17:07 -0300

2011/5/4 Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden>
On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 10:04:56PM -0300, Rogerio Luz wrote:

> > #--------------------------------------------------------
> > Patient has episode "URTI" coded to an appropriate ICD code.
> > Doctor changes episode description to "hypertension".
> >
> > I would expect any known ICD codes for "hypertension" to
> > automatically be linked to this episode:
> >
> >        no
> >        comment
> >
> The ICD 10 for instance has many levels of specificity,

Indeed.

> and I would like to
> leave it to the phycician to input what he/she thinks is the correct level
> for that episode.

That's the sort of thing I asked for. Now, just to make
sure: This will force you to *again* pick codes each and
every single time you name an episode "Hypertension" -
regardless of whether you've picked the very same code
twenty-thousand times before ?

(That picking can be hard or easy, we will try to make it easy.)

> A frasewheel is the way to go

Technically, it's no problem at all. I'm mainly interested
in what users expect to happen.

Yep ... you will pick that code 20 - 100 Thousand times, by the 4th time you will memorize it and it will be faster, but in NO WAY will the program be responsible for picking a code on your behalf. We can give you some hints, maybe, but it will be widely understood that it is the USER´S job to actually put the code together with the encounter.

Rogerio