Re: [Gnumed-devel] Address entry - workflow

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Address entry - workflow
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 21:11:35 -0700

On 2011-07-08, at 3:19 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> When I enter 04318 as the zip code and then down-arrow in
> the street field I see all the 4 streets sharing that zip
> code at the top.

Three improvements to suggest… tiny but IMHO quite important to improve the
user experience

1. Duh… I *finally* figured out the intended use of the address

field. 'Search' caused me to see matches and think

        When would I ever select *any* of these, except in the rare case of
family members (or room-mates) who share the same address.

IOW

        "Rarely, if ever, will the address (that I actually want) exist !!"

        … so why am I looking here?

NOW I get it. We are not expecting to find the address that we want, fully
formed. We are talking about *re-using* (only) *parts* of an existing address.
While the tooltip says as much, it is lengthy and not so clear and needs to
counter the ambiguity of "Search".

For the above reason, I would suggest a word other than Search.

I would suggest a lower case and parentheses, to de-emphasize:

        (like …)
or
        (clone …)

and would change the tooltip to:

        Optionally enter either a postal code, or a street name fragment, to
re-use (clone) a home address LIKE the one desired. You can then modify it,
however much is desired.

2. Suggest also to rename the label

        Primary (home) address / contact

        Home address / contact

because even if an individual inputs a business address and contact, these will
not be treated as such in GNUmed.

3. In addition to modifying the label "Place" to "Municipality" (on Adding new,
and in the Add / Edit demographic widget) can you see your way to split the
horizontal space that is allocated to Place / Municipality (obscured, below, by
the tooltip), in order to make available the same field 'Suburb' as exists in
Add / Edit demographic widget?

-- Jim

PNG image