Re: [Gnumed-devel] Address entry - workflow

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Address entry - workflow
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 17:52:17 -0700

On 2011-09-18, at 2:20 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> In fact, the area label sayeth:
>
>       *Primary* address
>
> and since GNUmed technically treats it as a "home" address
> that much is hinted at.
>
> So, when someone enters a business address it seems
> abundantly clear that GNUmed understands the user to this
> being the "primary" address in terms of relevance and will
> treat it as the "home" address.

The user is offered no control of the value which gets inserted into the
address 'type' … the value which gets inserted is

        'home'

so all I am saying is why confuse the label with "Primary"?

If I create persons via importer and would assign such persons a single address
of value other than 'home' (let us say I assigned a value of 'main'), these
single addresses must still, by default, be the 'active' (or as you maybe also
mean, 'primary') addresses, must they not?

Wait - surely you don't mean that

        home = NOT where the person lives / resides / sleeps

        home = whatever is first inserted for this individual?

This IMO makes no sense. This should mean that the value inserted into the
address 'type' should instead be 'primary' so it makes no assumptions about
alternative possible values of type.

Maybe I still fail to understand what you mean when GNUmed will 'treat it as a
home address'.  Do you mean as the 'active' address? But that will always be
the case for *any* new person creation, where the widget about which we are
talking allows to create (at most) only a *single* address, so why would we
imagine anything else could, at this early stage, be the 'active' address?

: - )

PS is there some requirement in GNUmed that a person cannot be created, without
-- at the same time -- creating an address for them? This is what the widget
enforces.

-- Jim