Re: [Gnumed-devel] still having a hard time with address input and Searc

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] still having a hard time with address input and Search
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 22:19:03 -0700

On 2011-10-07, at 9:51 PM, Liz wrote:

> Now if the new customer is actually from Vancouver Peninsular, do you
> want access to those default values from a database or not?

Let's see…

        number of patients from Vancouver BC CA to whom I have provided care…
at least 3,000

        number of patients from Vancouver Peninsular AU to whom I have provided
care… 0

        number of extra keystrokes it would have cost me… 3,000 plus hesitation
time

        number of extra keystrokes I would have been saved from the defaults… 0

I understand what you're saying, which remains the reason I stay open to (and
in fact would rather) some way to preserve the value of the information *when*
it's needed, but preferably *without* it getting in the way.
Contextually-relevant sorting within lists – understanding I may be asking for
a multi-keyed sort, here factoring the default country from which the user is
entering the data – is not unreasonable to want the computer if possible to
'do'.

I do not presuppose that the people active in the project are necessarily
        (a) aware how to do it, nor
        (b) whether they would agree it has important general utility

but
        (c) saving 3,000 keystrokes seems to me to be a good argument, and
        (d) avoiding wrong information seems also to me a good argument.

Presently, if I would make available GNUmed in production to the staff, and
their fingers fly more quickly than mine on the keyboard, there is nothing
AFAICT constraining them from inputting

        a postcode and street and street number which are located in Vancouver
BC CA
        a city of Vancouver Peninsula
        a region of BC
        a country of CA

despite that the city of Vancouver Peninsula is mapped in the region of Western
Australia in the country of Australia.

-- Jim