Re: [Gnumed-devel] still having a hard time with address input and Searc

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] still having a hard time with address input and Search
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 08:09:19 +0200

On Saturday 08 October 2011 07:19:03 Jim Busser wrote:
> On 2011-10-07, at 9:51 PM, Liz wrote:
> > Now if the new customer is actually from Vancouver Peninsular, do you
> > want access to those default values from a database or not?
>
> Let's see…
>
>       number of patients from Vancouver BC CA to whom I have provided care… at
> least 3,000
>
>       number of patients from Vancouver Peninsular AU to whom I have provided
> care… 0
>
>       number of extra keystrokes it would have cost me… 3,000 plus hesitation
> time
>
>       number of extra keystrokes I would have been saved from the defaults… 0
>
> I understand what you're saying, which remains the reason I stay open to
> (and in fact would rather) some way to preserve the value of the
> information *when* it's needed, but preferably *without* it getting in the
> way. Contextually-relevant sorting within lists – understanding I may be
> asking for a multi-keyed sort, here factoring the default country from
> which the user is entering the data – is not unreasonable to want the
> computer if possible to 'do'.
>
> I do not presuppose that the people active in the project are necessarily
>       (a) aware how to do it, nor
>       (b) whether they would agree it has important general utility
>
> but
>       (c) saving 3,000 keystrokes seems to me to be a good argument, and
>       (d) avoiding wrong information seems also to me a good argument.
>
> Presently, if I would make available GNUmed in production to the staff, and
> their fingers fly more quickly than mine on the keyboard, there is nothing
> AFAICT constraining them from inputting
>
>       a postcode and street and street number which are located in Vancouver
> BC
> CA a city of Vancouver Peninsula
>       a region of BC
>       a country of CA
>
> despite that the city of Vancouver Peninsula is mapped in the region of
> Western Australia in the country of Australia.

I believe it is not that hard to solve. By the time GNUmed is aware of praxis
location (country) it could sort the matches to show matches from that country
first.

I do agree from current experience that the few extra keystrokes don't kill
but they are a PITA nevertheless and once one is aware of it it is even more
bothering while it still does not kill :-)

Put it in as wishlist. Give it medium priority and I am positive that is will
be solved.

Sebastian