Re: [Gnumed-devel] Backend dem.urb needs cleaner constraint

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Backend dem.urb needs cleaner constraint
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 00:50:47 -0700

On 2011-10-07, at 10:59 PM, Jim Busser wrote:

> the constraint where uniqueness allows variations on any of the following:
>
>        id_street, aux_street, number, subunit, addendum

except I just realized (after importing thousands of records redundantly,
fortunately into v16 'test') that provided that if any value among

        aux_street, subunit, addendum

in an insertion is null, you can keep importing duplicate after duplicate until
after the cows have come home.

Possibly we should not (in postgres) be including nullable columns in a UNIQUE
key except if accept limitless numbers of them?

In order for the potential workaround

        CASE foo IS NULL then <empty string ''>  else foo

to be reliable, is would have to be implemented in the client and anyone who is
doing batch inserts would likewise need to be inserting null strings. It feels
to me like a bad practice, but I am no expert. Is there a setting that would
process (and require unique on) the nulls?

-- Jim