Re: [Gnumed-devel] Demographics schema - urb postcode not null

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Demographics schema - urb postcode not null
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 01:01:59 -0700

On 2011-10-07, at 11:16 PM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

> How often do you input a postcode. Once ?
> It will even be imported automatically most of the time.

I am a bit of a corner case in this regard, because whereas I think most GPs
(setting aside walk-in-clinics and tourist towns) see a stable population of
patients many times each, as a general internist I see a much larger proportion
only a few times.

On a once-per-city basis, the issue mostly falls away especially because I can
import a majority of relevant city names from the doctor contact file and I can
populate the postcode from an arbitrary selection or I can set it to a null
string ''

It was the per-patient-address completion that I was less wanting to be
troubled with, and the electronic postal code tables of which I am aware are
non-free and would have to be scripted to match inputted address parts inside
ranges.

There is a free Canadian postcode to lat-long table. I played with it but could
not figure out how to cast the source data into the required point values in
order to do the inserts into the address and urb tables.

-- Jim