[Gnumed-devel] Demographics schema - urb postcode not null

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Demographics schema - urb postcode not null
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 13:37:39 -0700

Presently,

        dem.urb

requires column

        postcode | text | not null

and while I don't disagree (in the case where an urb possesses but one, single
postcode) with the statements

        default postcode for urb.name
        useful for all the smaller urbs that only have one postcode
        also useful as a default when adding new streets to an urb

this is only true where urb can only be properly known by a single postcode. If
it is enforced to remain non-null, then I will be unable to create urbs except
by inserting one arbitrary postcode per urb which will be a *wrong* default for
nearly every new street added under the urb. See this join of city

       city    | postcode |      street
    -----------+----------+------------------
     Vancouver | V5T 2A8  | 10th Avenue East
     Vancouver | V5T 2A8  | 15th Ave W
     Vancouver | V5T 2A8  | 17th Ave East
     Vancouver | V5T 2A8  | 17th Ave West
     Vancouver | V5T 2A8  | 28th Ave W
     Vancouver | V5T 2A8  | 54th Ave E
     Vancouver | V5T 2A8  | 70th Ave W
     Vancouver | V5T 2A8  | 8th Ave W
     Vancouver | V5T 2A8  | Butler St
     Vancouver | V5T 2A8  | Dundas
     Vancouver | V5T 2A8  | Grant St
     Vancouver | V5T 2A8  | Moberly Rd
     Vancouver | V5T 2A8  | Station St
    (13 rows)

Accordingly, while useful to *have* this column

        postcode

this should be nullable … or am I missing something?

-- Jim