Re: [Gnumed-devel] Country zones and i18n

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Country zones and i18n
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 11:43:23 +0100

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 11:17:37PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> >> Wondering how "generic" would work. Say a user was configured as one of
> >>
> >>    de_DE
> >>
> >> … would their phrasewheels be populated by matches among
> >>
> >>    base values
> >> +  de_DE
> >> +  generic (even without configuration) ?
> >
> > No. It would be populated by
> >
> > dem.* + de_DE
> >                     or de
> >                             or geneirc [sic]
>
> So, in the case of the portuguese city and street names, shall I insert the
> accented values into
>
>       dem*
>
> and insert the unaccented ones into
>
>       i18n.translation.trans
>
> with lang = 'pt'

No, because that would make unaccented strings to be *shown*
regardless of how they are *matched and selected*. We don't
want that. Which is why I ...

> ... indicated a few mails ago was *not* what you were suggesting?

As I said, it's a crutch at best and the solution is to
provide unaccent() and identify the queries that need it.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de