Re: [Gnumed-devel] Finally ... monocomponent and multicomponent drug lis

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Finally ... monocomponent and multicomponent drug lists for Brazil
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 18:40:49 +0000

On 2013-06-24, at 10:11 AM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

Ok this will give me some trouble, the form and strength fields are the
same (as in : 500mg/5mL solution with cherry flavor). Can this be easily
modified to suit my file ? Will give more info in the next days, but can I
truncate say the first 10 characters for strength or is it a numbers only
field?

It is numbers only.

Spreadsheets got the ability to parse and modify columns,
Vaibhav may know more about that.

If I remember correctly he split "500mg/5ml" into "500" and
"mg/5ml" as unit.

Usually 500mg/5ml means one unit of "how the drug can be purchased".

The concentration is 100mg/ml. The prescription / instruction can potentially be written as any of

500mg/5ml x 2.5 ml

or

2.5 ml of  500mg/5ml

or

250mg (2.5 ml of  500mg/5ml)

but I am not sure which is better in terms of how to configure the information in the database tables.

Whatever would be the answer, Libre Office can parse

500mg/5mL solution

as follows, based on the characters "/" and " " (space) as follows:

Column A 500mg/5mL solution
Column B =LEFT(A1,E1-1)
Column C =MID(A1,E1+1,F1-E1-1)
Column D =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-F1)