Re: [Gnumed-devel] Imaging as a 'Measurement'

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Imaging as a 'Measurement'
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 15:50:23 +0000

On 2013-07-09, at 9:28 PM, Jim Busser <address@hidden> wrote:

> Also, since there are about 6 different hospitals in my region which provide
> echocardiograms, do I need to create a clonal 'test type' for each of them,
> later to be aggregated under a 'meta type' or might it suffice to create a
> 'fake' org like
>
>       Echocardiography Labs
>
> and then create each among the various hospital's echocardiography units as
> 'org units' of the 'fake org' ?

There is a downside, for example, to create multiple org_units inside an org,
and to then designate each of those org_units as a Laboratory.

There exists, for example in my locale, a private laboratory which operates 30
or 40 branches (collecting stations) in a span of 50 x 50 km.

I may rather designate only the mother org itself to be a 'Laboratory' and I
may designate each org_unit to be a 'Branch lab' or 'Collecting station' (or,
even more generically, 'Location').

The reason will be to spare me having to re-create each test type (for example,
a serum creatinine) 30 or 40 times, when it suffices that I do it just once.

Likewise, I may in the earlier-quoted example designate

        Echocardiography Labs

to be a 'Laboratory' and simply categorize each org_unit as a 'Location' so
that it will only be necessary for me to create measurements ('test types')
such as the following, just once:

        aortic valve area
        aortic pressure gradient
        left atrial dimensions

I can always input the actual location (org unit) where the imaging had been
performed into the 'Context" field.

The thought occurs that it might be helpful to be able to reference the
original report wherein (for example) the measured value can be corroborated
and additional information accessed.

If the report has been imported into the document archive, the clinician could
choose to mention this in the Context.

I don't see an easy way ATM to "link" from a free text area within GNUmed to a
URL representing the thing that is being referenced.

-- JIm