Re: [Gnumed-devel] Some issues

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Some issues
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 00:08:56 +0200

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 04:50:05PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> In the meantime, I attach ideas from examples of two
> different lab views provided by my hospital system,

Thanks. What is the name of the system ?

> to point out that…
>
> … in the first screenshot,
>
> - the left column does, in some cases, use abbreviations (say, MCV instead of
> Mean Cell Volume)

I doubt "it" uses them abbrevs. I suppose it uses whatever
it receives within a given HL7 (?) field.

> - the columns widths are not adjustable

Is that good or bad or a neutral observation ?

> - the full name of tests which are shortened is visible by hovering (see
> their yellow tooltip equivalent)

Same here except we add a bunch more data to the tooltip,
such as the Most Recent.

> - they shade cells whose values are high something like
> 'dusty rose',and values that are low in a light blue

That's technically not really all that hard to do. Note,
however, that colors don't carry universal meaning (beyond
traffic lights, and even those aren't universal - also,
traffic lights aren't applicable to high-normal-low). It
would need a legend, no ?

We could, I suppose, use a not-too-in-your-face background
color (dusty rose ? ;-)   and use up/down/updown arrows if
the latter is preferred over + /-/+- ?

> - all of their tests are hierarchical, based on the lab
> division ("bench") which provided the results, and within
> lab area by "kind" or "sub-area" of tests which is rather
> like panels

What we *can* do is this:  The user might define a bunch of
panels and configure which panels to use for populating the
lower area (under the spotlighted panel). If there's
duplicate shows (a test being in more than one panel) - too
bad. The user can do something about that if desired. Tests
which haven't been included with any of the panels used
below (but do have values) are simply appended as
"un-paneled".

If that sounds like a plan please file a wishlist item.

> --> main take-away
> - by using a slim non-bolded font, they achieve to display
>   25 characters of test name

That seems to help a bit :-)

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de