Re: [Gnumed-devel] Some issues - grouping of display, profiles etc

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Some issues - grouping of display, profiles etc
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 02:33:00 +0000

On 2013-07-13, at 2:23 PM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

>>  I would want ALL the panels to show
>>   simultaneously, so we could separate measurements in: Anthropometric
>>   (Weight, Height, Body Composition), Image Studies, Hematologic, Cardiac,
>>   Urine, etc … panels for easier views.
>
> That's another, valid, approach to organizing tests display
> -- which isn't implemented just yet. Seems you are thinking
> in "panel = area of display" (which wasn't the design idea
> behind "our" panels) rather than "panel = list of tests to
> display together".
>
>>   Now that I think of it maybe an
>>   option to “copy or move” the exam, since many would be nice to have in many
>>   panels (Chest X-ray in images and in cardio for examples). But copying all
>>   exam to all panels clutters everything.
>
> I've got a feeling you are misunderstanding something about
> panels. You can add any exam to any number of panels. Or
> else I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

I agree the above contains two separate or competing thoughts which have been
intertwined:

1. Every test can be argued (thought of) as part of a domain, or class, of tests

2. Any one test result can be relevant to more than one clinical context.

So for example, the hospital categorizes and represents the

        Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR)

as a "Hematology" test, while it categorizes the

        C-reactive protein (CRP)

as a "Chemistry test".

Clinically, however, a patient who has an inflammatory condition such as
osteomyelitis or abscess or giant cell (temporal) arteritis or polymyalgia
rheumatica (PMR) who has had care from more than one doctor and even sometimes
a single doctor may have had one among {ESR, CRP} performed on one day and the
other performed on the same date or on a different date.

Accordingly, I can see myself wanting to create a panel called

        Inflammation

and into this panel include

        WBC
        Platelets
        ESR
        CRP

but I am also aware that CRP is a marker for elevated coronary artery disease
risk and therefore I may also like the CRP to appear in a panel

        Cardiac risk

which might include

        glucose values (many kinds)
        lipid and cholesterol values (many kinds)
        CRP
        smoking status (if transformed into a 'measurement')
        hypertension (if transformed into a 'measurement')
        family history (if transformed into a 'measurement')

-- Jim