Re: [Gnumed-devel] Some issues - grouping of display, profiles etc

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Some issues - grouping of display, profiles etc
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 02:38:04 +0000

On 2013-07-13, at 7:32 PM, Jim Busser <address@hidden> wrote:

> I agree the above contains two separate or competing thoughts which have been
> intertwined:
>
> 1. Every test can be argued (thought of) as part of a domain, or class, of
> tests
>
> 2. Any one test result can be relevant to more than one clinical context.

We perhaps need some additional thinking around whether, and how, to further
implement some or all of the concepts at

        http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/GmManualTestResultConcepts

because a lot of complexity is contained therein.  One example that we did not
yet consider is that we sometimes order (request) one thing, like a

        Complete blood count

and what we receive back is

        White blood cell count (WBC)
        • Neutrophil granulocytes
        • Lymphocytes
        • Monocytes
        • Eosinophil granulocytes
        • Basophil granulocytes
        Hemoglobin (Hb)
        Red blood cell count (RBC)
        Mean cell volume (MCV)
        Mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration (MCHC)
        Red blood cell distribution width (RDW)
        Platelet count (PLT)
        Mean platelet volume (MPV)

creating some argument behind to dedicate one GNUmed concept to how the labs
choose to label and group their tests within lab domains

        Chemistry
        Hematology
        Immunology
        Microbiology
        Virology

which can maybe govern "normal display of all tests" and then relying on a
separate GNUmed concept to put together arbitrary clinically useful groupings
which may include a particular test in more than one grouping except I could
see difficulty to display a single test test more than once if there was some
desire to -- say -- display more than one set of "clinical grouping" at the
same time.

-- Jim