Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurement workflows - value colour red

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurement workflows - value colour red
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 18:27:08 +0000

On 2013-07-14, at 10:22 AM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> Cholesterol is perhaps not the best example. Think GGT or
> any number of entirely irrelevant tests which are ordered by
> irresponsible clinicians anyway.

I still do not see the value of going to the trouble of "coding" (categorizing)
abnormal GGTs as irrelevant.

They surely reflect that some process is going on inside the patient.

We only often decide to ignore them because we did not yet assign a clinical
significance, as the patient is not undergoing obvious damage as far as we are
aware, and we are not eager to undertake trials of drug discontinuation to see
which drug(s) are responsible.

Even so, faced wit persistently abnormal GGT and ALK, it may be better to avoid
to waste time to label them as "irrelevant" and instead to set a target range
above which to concede that the worsening test abnormality cannot reasonably
continue to be ignored.

The only other use case that I can see is to add, into the Measurement widgets,
the capacity to show / hide (filter)

        all results
        all abnormals (lab abnormal, signed abnormal)
        signed relevant

-- Jim