Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurement workflows - Add a measurement - normal ra

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurement workflows - Add a measurement - normal range
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 18:18:41 +0000

On 2013-07-14, at 9:51 AM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 12:58:19AM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:
>
>>> would it help to separate and decide (agree) for GNUmed to treat
>>>
>>> 1) "normal" as a property of what the *lab* maintains to be its reference
>>> range for this test,
>>
>> This perhaps requires growing these columns (upper, lower, alpha_range) into
>> the test_type table.
>
> This is entirely undesirable because it requires - at best -
> duplicate maintenance and - at worst - affords catastrophic
> failure in applying outdated ranges.

We should consider and distinguish that we may here be talking about two
different things:

1. The validated, quality-assurance compliant range which accredited
laboratories are normally supposed to supply with *every* individual test
result, and which may have been normed for a particular population of which the
patient is a member, and which may therefore not be the same as the "usual
reference range" which any of us might look up on the internet, and which
"usual reference range" could even be in different units than what the lab
would have supplied with the patient results

vs

2. The usual reference range for this test, which may not be specific for the
current patient's age and sex, but which may be helpful to be made accessible,
especially in the situation where the GNU-medder does not yet have the ability
to import labs with their reference ranges

Mainly it was in relation to #2 that I was thinking about storing the

        per-test (per lab) usual reference range

in the test_type, because I cannot see myself manually inputting for every
patient their own instance of per test normal range, especially when (being
performed in the same lab) this range will be the same as for every other
patient in the praxis.

Such a range can be inputted by the user at the time of the creation of the
test_type, if the columns would be added and made available.

Such a range can be auto-updated with lab data imports as soon as the praxis
would get onto that (minding no one has so far achieved it in GNUmed).

I only agree that one should not copy into a patient's own test result any
normal range data which had not been produced and supplied *with* the
particular test result in question.

-- JIm