Re: [Gnumed-devel] Placeholder clarifications - nesting placeholders

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Placeholder clarifications - nesting placeholders
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 22:52:45 +0200

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 08:33:30PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> If I expect to input, into the prompt-for-free-text
> placeholder, characters that may include percentages (as
> with response rates or prognosis), can this input somehow be
> passed up through, and processed by, an enclosing
> placeholder like
>
>       $<tex_escape::::>$

There's no need. The placeholder handlers already know how
to escape characters and how.

Except in that one special case when the user types
ready-made target specific text into the freetext input box
and tells GNUmed about that by using the checkbox below it.

> Also -- while the above remains of interest as a
> clarification of what is currently possible in GNUmed -- is
> the prompt-for-free-text placeholder already intended to
> escape such special characters?

Yes, unless told to not do so.

> Or maybe the code which processes the placeholder is
> unaware of the inventory of characters that would need to
> be escaped?

It is (unaware of them) but it will still do so.

> … I confess I also forget what difference the checkbox
> within the prompt dialog is supposed to make, but if
> reminded I can add it to my list of things to better
> document ...

It allows the user to tell GNUmed to not escape what was
typed but rather use the input verbatim. That, however,
means the input must be COMPLETELY valid in the target
document description language.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de