Re: [Gnumed-devel] restrictions vs. conventions (uncertain date-time)

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] restrictions vs. conventions (uncertain date-time)
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 15:38:53 +0000

On 2013-08-24, at 2:54 AM, Jerzy Luszawski <address@hidden> wrote:

> Jim - you elaborated a lot of detailed descriptions of required changes
> - it seems to me that you could just implement these changes by yourself :)
>
> But the main thought I would like to share is, that besides hard-coded
> requirements required to maintain the sanity of database …

> 1. if the date is less than DOB - the date is totally unknown (=DOB is
> not a good idea, as it could be exact date)

The suggestion for clin_when less than DOB only works if the hard-coded
requirements remain sufficiently unconstrained to permit such values.

For example, if a trigger is defined to disallow a clin_when < DOB – and which
could easily be conceived and implemented – then such flexible use becomes
impossible, at least within GNUmed main.

Coming back to Jerzy's offered alternative, which is to just implement these
changes by oneself …

This would have the big advantage of individualization and a number of
disadvantages, including

- labour-intensivess
- less testing and therefore risk of bugs, and
- the opportunity costs of spreading more-thinly what limited coding talent
does exist.

Would the 'thing' that one would implement by oneself be a fork?

Assuming that I would not want to evolve 'away' from "GNUmed main" any more
than necessary, then some way to track along side it would seem necessary for
sanity.

I would imagine that starting with "GNUmed main" and then identifying the
things desired to customize and making those changes,
and then experiencing all unwanted side effects, and then fixing those
side-effects, is fine until wanting to enjoy something new available in "GNUmed
main".

Are the two basic approaches to doing this

(1) taking "the new GNUmed release" and re-applying -- to the extent that one
can -- all of one's own patches and detecting and fixing new incompatibilities
with new local patches, or alternatively

(2) taking one's "fork", and then applying to it all the patches which had in
the meantime been applied to "GNUmed main" in order for it to become "new
GNUmed release"

and where maintaining (2) is more complex and requires a higher level of skills
to keep working than (1)?

-- JIm