Re: [Gnumed-devel] restrictions vs. conventions (uncertain date-time)

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] restrictions vs. conventions (uncertain date-time)
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 16:14:42 +0000

On 2013-08-24, at 3:26 AM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> That is a brilliant idea (and the database doesn't even
> protect against that just yet :), however, DOB can be NULL

The missing date of birth is (usually) only a temporary state. A missing DOB
can most often be filled in at the next encounter.

I had mainly strongly encouraged us to allow to be able to create a patient in
the scenario where a colleague phones and asks us to see a patient and, over
the telephone, wishes to tell us something about the patient's story that they
want us to know, while having with them only the patient's name, but not their
date of birth.

AFAIR the other reason we allowed a NULL dob was because GNUmed requires each
staff to be created and to exist as a person in the database, and in those
cases where staff are not patients in the praxis there should be no need to
make this personal information accessible to the other users in the praxis.

> so we may need to convert this idea to "now-or-date-of-death
> - 150 years" or so.

Usually, for my patients who are not already dead (usually afterwards they are
no longer patients :-) ), it can be hard to know when they will die … I imagine
what might have been intended was

        now-or-now-minus-150-years

which I notice cannot currently be auto-computed in

        date started (for medications)

as this currently supports to go back only 99 years, which if inputting -99y
offers

        Monday, 24 August, 1914

-- Jim