Re: [Gnumed-devel] Placeholders templates, and %s

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Placeholders templates, and %s
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 21:07:03 +0200

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 06:51:32PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> > When "format" is required it is used to tell GNUmed to
> > output tables or lists in certain formats, say, as LaTeX
> > code (we don't yet have any other format supported).
> >
> >> current_meds_table … format, options
> >> current_meds_notes …  format, options
> >>
> >> ---> what are these formats and options?
> >
> > format = latex, irrelevant, as it can output latex only anyways :)

> Am I correct to think of (and refer to) both
>
>       format, options
>
> as 'possible future-use' and that to currently-insert (or omit) a value makes
> no difference?

That's right.

> Can I go a leap further, and expect that where GNUmed does not currently
> expect, nor know, what to do with such args, the content is simply ignored?

Where it doesn't need any args - yes.

Where it does need some - rather not.

> … IOW, provided that unescaped control characters are avoided, one could put
>
>       $< current_meds_table::foo bar::>$
>
> and 'foo bar' would simply be ignored?

This assumption applies, yes.

> Among the reasons I am going to such trouble to pin this
> down is because -- apart from "what's the userid and
> password for GNUmed?" and "why can I not access my local
> database (which I did not yet create)?" -- it seems to me
> that placeholders are a big area where
> motivated-but-technically-limited users could benefit.

Absolutely.

Just for the record: I have been thinking of modifying the
arguments detection code to work like this:

        $<placeholder_name::option1=value1//option2=value2//...::length>$

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de