[Gnumed-devel] bootstraping v19 without starting from v2

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] bootstraping v19 without starting from v2
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 10:39:45 +0100

Hi,

I understand the concept of boostraping. I also understand the concept of
upgrading databases from one version to the next version. The process seems to
work for GNUmed.

Let's think about a new user who has never created a database. Going from db
v2 to v19 (currently) is a process that should result in exactly the same
outcome as restoring a proper dump of a v19 database and users.

Would it be possible to let a user *bootstrap* a v19 database or any later
database if this is a first time installation  ? This would mean to combine all
bootstrap step from previous upgrades into one step ?

Is there a technical issue why one would always go from v2 instead of starting
off with v19 ? I would assume some refactoring would need to take place.

Given the relatively modest userbase I wonder if this could be attempted
sooner then later.

Sebastian