Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstraping v19 without starting from v2

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstraping v19 without starting from v2
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 13:43:32 +0100

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 01:28:35PM +0100, Hilbert, Sebastian wrote:

> > On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:39:45AM +0100, Hilbert, Sebastian wrote:
> >
> > Putting aside the obvious question: Why would a user fu*ing
> > care how his database comes about ?
> >
> the user does not care. I am seeing a day where bootstrap runs for an hour
> because it goes from v2 to v100.

As if that was of any significance. It happens ONCE in the lifetime
of an installation (and if the admin of an installation would consider
it of relevance they could always take a dump of the newly created v100
for all those times they'll re-bootstrap from scratch... and provide that
online for the benefit of others ...).

> Thinking about it it might be a configuration issue on my side. On various
> systems I get asked for passwords repetitively.

I don't.

> I want to be asked for root *once* and that is it.

Well, that seems simply not POSSIBLE on some systems.

> I don't care how it is done technically.

Well, you'll have to care whether it is POSSIBLE.

> I just don't want to put in the password every time v2-v3-v4-v5.
> You get the point.

Sure, but since I don't there IS a way and thus
it is all about configuration.

> What exactly is the benefit over bootstrapping vs. restoring a dump ?

- some database environment checks won't get run by a dump
- some database settings won't get restored (open to verification)
- it saves me an extra step

This is all hot air IMO. When there's a real concern
people can always start providing dumps.

We even do provide dumps of the public DB.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de