Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed database login warnings

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed database login warnings
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 00:39:35 +0000

I just have a question (below) about the HIPAA part. Karsten's last post (in
this thread) explained the

        risk: suboptimal error detection

-- Jim ...

On 2013-11-19, at 3:05 AM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 03:17:48AM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:
>
>> After upgrading my Postgres from 8.4 to 9.3.1 and making no
>> change to my gnumed 1.3.7 client other than to alter the port
>> to 5433, at login to GNUmed, I now get the attached screen
>> shot.
>>
>> How do I resolve the individual 'serious problems' ?
>
> gm-adjust_db_settings.sh exists to help with such things.
>
>> option [log_connections]: off
>> risk: non-compliance with HIPAA
>>
>> option [log_disconnections]: off
>> risk: non-compliance with HIPAA
>
> These two are settings in postgresql.conf.

Yes

        log_connections
        log_disconnections

appear (commented) in lines 391 and 392 of my postgresql.conf, however I notice
related setings appear also in

        gm-adjust_db_settings.sh

and so it seems to me that a praxis wishing to run GNUmed in HIPAA-compliant
mode should do at least one, but need not do both, among:

1) uncomment (#) in postgresql.conf or

2) uncomment (--) in the shell script the lines

        echo "--alter database ${TARGET_DB} set log_connections to 'on';" >>
$SQL_FILE
        echo "--alter database ${TARGET_DB} set log_disconnections to 'on';" >>
$SQL_FILE

but if I do not want the added overhead of HIPAA, how will running the above
script (unchanged) turn off the warnings, especially since I cannot find where
in GNUmed to configure HIPAA as "on" or "off".

>> option [lc_messages]: en_CA.UTF-8
>> risk: suboptimal error detection
>
> That one should be "C".

I was able to review my lc_ settings (including lc_messages) using

        select name, setting from pg_settings WHERE position('lc_' in name) = 1
;

and I see from

        gm-adjust_db_settings.sh

that its line

        echo "alter database ${TARGET_DB} set lc_messages to 'C';" >> $SQL_FILE

will take care of setting lc_messages back to 'C'.

-- Jim