Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed database login warnings

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed database login warnings
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 12:02:14 +0100 (CET)

>       log_connections
>       log_disconnections
>
> appear (commented) in lines 391 and 392 of my postgresql.conf, however I
> notice related setings appear also in
>
>       gm-adjust_db_settings.sh
>
> and so it seems to me that a praxis wishing to run GNUmed in HIPAA-compliant
> mode should do at least one, but need not do both, among:
>
> 1) uncomment (#) in postgresql.conf or
>
> 2) uncomment (--) in the shell script the lines
>
>       echo "--alter database ${TARGET_DB} set log_connections to 'on';" >>
> $SQL_FILE
>       echo "--alter database ${TARGET_DB} set log_disconnections to 'on';" >>
> $SQL_FILE
>
> but if I do not want the added overhead of HIPAA, how will running the above
> script (unchanged) turn off the warnings, especially since I cannot find
> where in GNUmed to configure HIPAA as "on" or "off".

Turning on what little HIPAA support there is translates to adding --hipaa
to the call to gnumed.py. By default (no --hipaa) it is off.

--hipaa will turn the above warnings into errors making GNUmed refuse to run

Otherwise it'll only warn but allow starting the client. Logging
connections/disconnects makes sense in any case so getting rid
of even the warning involves setting it to on (by whichever means).