Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed database login warnings

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed database login warnings
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 09:40:56 +0000

On 2013-11-21, at 12:37 AM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Except that, in the script, you wrote
>>
>> #==============================================================
>> # There really should not be any need to
>> # change anything below this line.
>> #==============================================================
>
> This applies to the script, not to the SQL file produced.

Now you are seemingly just being cute, because the SQL file that is produced is
called and run by the very script that created the SQL prior to terminating.
Unless you are serious and intend that the user who ran

        gm-adjust_db_settings.sh

would make a post-hoc change to the SQL file and then run it a *second* time?

>> and if the point of running
>>
>>      gm-adjust_db_settings.sh
>>
>> is to adjust the gnumed_vNN db so that it will run in some
>> believed-to-be-desirable way, and if what you are saying is that "logging
>> connections/disconnects makes sense in any case",  then my suggestion is to
>> revise the script to that it will in future ship with the above two
>>
>>      --alter database … set log_[dis]connections ...
>>
>> lines uncommented (i.e. enabled) by default.
>
> Note how above those lines it says "cannot be set after server start".

I suppose I do not understand two things about this ....

1) is the point of your having included, within the script, line numbers 57-62
mainly or wholly for documentation, in order that yourself and others can know
about possibly-needed adjustments to the db despite that some of these
adjustment cannot be set after server start?

2) how can you make adjustments without a server running? Or is it simply the
case that the alterations to the database would be accepted but that they would
not take EFFECT until after the equivalent of a reload, sighup, start / stop or
reboot?

-- Jim