Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet Hacker Meeting Agenda

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet Hacker Meeting Agenda
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 17:14:24 +0000

Hartmut Goebel transcribed 1.6K bytes:
> On 01.06.19 20:06, Christian Grothoff wrote:
> >> As you may know, we'll have the GNUnet Hacker meeting at decentrale.ch
> >> near St. Imier June 22nd to 29th. We currently have 14-20 registrations
> >> depending on whether you count +1s.  That said, there is still space,
>

> I'm sorry to not be able to attend. I would be eager to get more into
> gnunet and to get to know those I did not meet earlier. Sadly I will not
> even be able to attend via irc (or such) since I'll be offline in this
> week.
>
> Nevertheless I would like to add (or emphasis) one point regarding
> documentation: Currently quite some of the concepts are described in
> academic papers. While have an academic and research foundation is a
> plus for the project, I'd like to see some less academic "white papers".
> These should also answer some nearby questions. (Example for GNS: How
> can I publish my website's name (gnunet.org) globally?)

Definitely, if you go into the _unofficial / community run_ reddit,
people are still asking the same questions and they still don't reach
us.
I proxied some of my ideas to sva, and while I'm hopelessly spread thin
between projects, I think a combination of people at the meeting sharing
their ideas, and myself organizing and wrapping up the bigger picture for
this to coordinate, will lead to improvements.

While the web is a common place younger(? at least with what I observed
so far) people look for information, this should not be limited to the
web. I still haven't managed to finish the pkgsrc package for gnunet,
based exclusively on the fact that the rc script isn't done. Anyone who
writes an init script has to reference the existing ones, which might or
might not be enough -> this is excluded from the documentation so far,
what we need to do is take 10 steps back, write down what we *as users*
want, read the documentation, read the complains in social networks (there
are many) and directly ask our friends if they understand the texts, and
improve, delete what is no longer necessary, etc.

I can't easily paste my Email to sva because I can't really be bothered
to translate it back to English.

I am not sure how to track this best. This is bigger than just gnunet.git,
so maybe a Mantis Ticket, but not everyone can comment there. Best would
be an Email thread, but while I care about the feedback of most people
it has to be filtered since this is not like writing code - I trust that
there are some people capable of writing and rewriting the documentation
in a way which is good enough, but not all of us can do it all the time,
we have different goals and different understandings of ease of language
and how we can reflect on it.
I could just commit my plan so far to gnunet.git/doc/ in a file.