Re: gc in GNUstep (Was: soname of gc variant of gnustep-base)

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: gc in GNUstep (Was: soname of gc variant of gnustep-base)
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 14:01:33 +0200

Nicola Pero wrote:
What if I retain a to-be-garbage-collected object? Can I release it? Or do I have to look into the object's docs to find out what to do?
Looks like you never tried using it, maybe you want to try it out :-) to
find the answers to these questions.

BTW: A very useful variant of Boehm GC is using it side-by-side with RC in leak-detection mode. That is, you program just as usual using RC but the garbage collector reports you the objects which aren't referenced anymore.
I fixed quite a lot of memory bugs in libFoundation using this facility.

(of course this misses the really good features of a GC like handling circular references which is a mess in RC and weak references, which are also a mess/impossible with the Foundation API).

Greetings
  Helge