Re: Documentation

From: Adam Atlas
Subject: Re: Documentation
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 20:27:22 -0400

On Tuesday, September 24, 2002, at 07:40  PM, Alexander Malmberg wrote:

Well, the entire site doesn't have to be devoted to this; there are lots of other things a I think a GNUstep wiki might be useful for. As long as
the spec part is set aside and self-contained, it should work.

That's a good idea. I think we should try to set up a general GNUstep wiki which includes documentation. I've set up two wikis before, so I have experience with this.

As I said, most implementations of Wiki store complete revision
history. If we were to set up a Wiki, it could be up-to-the-minute
contributed and official documentation, and then the GNUstep developers
could decide what goes into the official documentation.

This would be a very good arrangement, though I still have a few
concerns about distributing, change control (well, change notification),
and editing (my browser isn't my favorite text editor). Being able to
easily attach comments and updates to the official stuff sounds like a
very nice thing, though, so I think it'd be interesting to try :).

About change notification: The original Wiki code is written in perl, and could easily be modified to send notifications to a certain email address upon the modification of a page whose name starts with NS or GS for example. Also, Wiki automatically maintains a RecentChanges page.

"My browser isn't my favorite text editor": Wiki reads plain text, not HTML, and converts it as needed. HTML isn't usually allowed, but it supports several tags that can be used to perform several HTML-like functions. So this isn't really a problem, and if you want to, of course, you can do editing in another program and paste into the browser.

Anyone else have any comments on this?

--
Adam Atlas

Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue