Re: Release schedule

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Release schedule
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:55:11 -0800

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 10:15:12 +0200
Markus Hitter <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 01.04.03 um 02:49 Uhr schrieb Chris B. Vetter:
> > You're absolutely right, but again: What good is Cocoa
> > compatibility, if that compatibility stands on wonky legs?
> What makes you expect that an additional e.g. NSToolbar implementation
> whould affect the stability of GNUstep?

I didn't say that _adding_ a Cocoa specific class, like NSDrawer or
NSToolbar, would make GNUstep instable.

What I am saying is, that the _primary_focus_ should be on makeing
GNUstep as stable as possibel, _then_ look at a possible Cocoa "add-on".

> If it whould show effects other than the expected ones, you just bring
> hidden bugs to the light of the day, right?

Uhm ... that is one of the problems with GNUstep I've seen. There are
bugs, problems and crashes that simply are side-effects.

> After all, if you want to stay with OPENSTEP exclusively, GNUstep will
> come to a standstill in a not too far future.

No one is talking about an exclusive Openstep implementation.
But again, a _working_ and _bug_free_ (as much as possible ;-) Openstep
compatible_foundation_ in core/ should be the starting point for adding
GNUstep specific, and Cocoa extensions.

--
Chris