Re: ObjectiveC accessors

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: ObjectiveC accessors
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 12:40:06 +0200

Stefan Urbanek wrote:
On 2004-05-30 12:04:19 +0200 David Ayers <address@hidden> wrote:

Stefan Urbanek wrote:

Speaking about retain/release being OpenStep specific. Why not to include some kind of garbage collection into the language too? It is used in majority of sources. Of course, with appropriate library hooks/callbacks, so one can implement custom GC method. I think it can be done in some simple way.

The GNU runtime can be configured with garbage collection enabled. GNUstep uses the RETAIN/RELEASE/AUTORELEASE related macros because of this. It also introduces the gnugc-gnu-gnu library combo for the GC enabled runtime. I don't think this gets much testing though, but that's pure speculation.

Cheers,