Re: thoughts on WindowMaker

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: thoughts on WindowMaker
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 22:39:52 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 13:27, David Ayers wrote:
> Manuel Guesdon wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 08:46:50 +0200 (CEST) address@hidden wrote:
> >  >| PS: I think Manuel is gone until mid/late september.  Could anyone else
> >  >| look into what's going on with main site?
> >
> > I'm back. What's the problem with main site ?
> >

> It seems to have updated now :-), thanks.
> Can we have it update more often?

Why? It was put there by Alex intentionaly as it is required to be there
for some time.  Not as a short notice but something that will get into
visitors eyes immediately. As Gregory noted, we have to change the way
people look at GNUstep. Myself I was several time confronted with the same
oppinion that
WindowMaker is GNUstep and GNUstep is just a window manager. You all know what
GNUstep is,
but majority of newcomers do not know and probably will never know.

The quote from Gregory i am reffering to:

"One thing which comes to mind is the fact that at FOSDEM a few years
ago I can recall accounts of people asking "Why are you guys using
WindowMaker's logo"? or "Isn't GNUstep just a window manager"?   Also,
many people come on to the GNUstep list or into the #gnustep IRC
chatroom and are suffering from this confusion.   I guess you could say
we're suffering in the shadow of WindowMaker. ;)  I believe that the
confusion is causing people to skip over GNUstep as a potential option
since they don't understand fully what it is. "

Note that this issue is not about fighting windowmaker, it is about correcting
the
way how people look at gnustep. Target is not current gnustep community but
potential
gnustep developers, project porters, etc. It should be clear to them what
GNUstep is.

It would be good if the message and link was put on the home page again
and last there for at least several months. And of course, the size of the
messaeg IS important.

Best regards,

Stefan

p.s.: I am Windowmaker user as well, I have nothing against it.