Re: New developers and publicity

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: New developers and publicity
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 05:27:54 -0700 (PDT)

See below...

--- address@hidden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Excuse me for higher traffic from my side in last few days. I started to be
> concerned by GNUstep publicity, because I think that it is as important as
> stability and feature completness, perhaps just a little bit less.
>
> Reason? There is large lack of time: you do not have much free time, nor I
> do.
> Publicity gives life to the project and attracts new people who, by using,
> can
> spot bugs, give feedback, post patches, and most importantly: they can learn
> what the software is and how it works. Those who learn can grow to new
> developers. Benefits? You can reamin focused on your matter.
>
> You can not fix all the bugs people are requesting to fix. You can not
> implement
> all missing methods that yo do not require for your project, do you? Neither
> you can add many new interesting features. You have to focus on many other
> things. And note that you have invested much time to the project.
>
> Here is a small statistics from Slashdot. Look at slashdot topics and select
> GNUstep. You see only 28 articles there since 1998, from which 9 are about
> Windowmaker (1/3!). Latest article is from December 26th, 2002.
>
> Even gnustep is not a desktop environment, but closest project equivalents
> are
> still KDE and Gnome. Enough said that Gnome has ~40 articles only in 2004,
> not
> counting others. It is similar with KDE.
>
> It is just small observation to let you know how it is with the project. I
> can
> not call my self core gnustep developer as i did not too much compared to
> others who deserve that title. Therefore I would like to ask, whether some of
> core developers can give a bit attention to this issue and from time to time
> initiate a publicity action?
>
> What do you think?

I agree that we need more publicity.   I disagree, however, with the venue.   I
have found slashdot to be a very clique-ish in the sense that the people there
who are in charge of posting articles only do so from certain individuals.

We should find a better venue than slashdot to do our publicity.   Or at least
an alternative one.

> Stefan Urbanek

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A Maryland Corporation)
#### Maintainer of Gorm for GNUstep.