Re: Building in a separate directory

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Building in a separate directory
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 12:54:21 +0100 (BST)

> > It might be nice to fix autoconf, but then you'll run into make.
> > 'make' doesn't like spaces in directories either - and this is a
> > fundamental design issue.
>
> But doesn't make always run in the same directory?  Anyway I'm
> placing this on the back burner for some time, and it's been a long
> time since I read the GNU make manual.  But I think that this issue
> needs to be solved someday because directories with spaces are very
> common this days (Windows' "C:\Program Files", for example).

There is nothing you can do to solve the issue of directories with spaces
in it, really.

The make syntax uses spaces to separate filenames in list of targets or
requisites, or everywhere really ... it's a basic design decision in the
make syntax.

The problem should be limited to the building process though; meaning if
you are building stuff using make, then you need to avoid directories with
spaces in it.  Once the stuff is built, you should be able to run it
anywhere.

So end-users should not be affected ... they can run the stuff anywhere.
Developers need to avoid compiling inside directories that contain spaces.

Thanks